Foodie Friday rolls round again!
This week I have been strictly sticking to the 21 Day Fix portion control meal plan – which mean EAT MORE VEGGIES and EAT MORE PROTEIN! This delicious stew has been a lunch staple all week – so much veggie goodness!!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (or more) teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (or more) teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- splash of white wine vinegar (1-2 tablespoons)
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- ½ cup dry quinoa (or 1.5 cups cooked quinoa)
- generous amounts of salt & pepper
- a few big handfuls of chopped kale
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until they become translucent. Add the butternut squash cubes, another few pinches of salt, and stir again.
- Let the butternut squash cook for a few minutes, then add the garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika and chile flakes. Stir, then add a splash of white wine vinegar to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes, broth and quinoa. Cover and simmer until the butternut squash is tender and the quinoa is cooked through (about 40 minutes). Halfway through, I like to taste and adjust seasonings. Add additional spices if you like.
- When the soup is nearly done, add in a few handfuls of chopped kale. Stir and let it cook until wilted (about 5 minutes more). Taste, and adjust seasonings again.
- Store leftover soup in the fridge for 4-5 days or freeze.