I saw some absolutely BEAUTIFUL eggplants in the produce section, which inspired me to pull out an old recipe from the summer I was obsessed with French food. It’s simple and delicious!
- 1 eggplant cut lengthwise into 4 thick slices (fit chicken breasts) OR as I did, cut into enough rounds to match your chicken – I used boneless, skinless thighs And made 6….
- (4) boneless, skinless chicken breasts – or see above
- 1 14 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, cut into quarters – save some of the juice!
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil + some for greasing the pan
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or honey
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400, oil baking dish – large enough to fit eggplant slices in a single layer ~ place eggplant in the dish and top each slice with chicken breast (or whatever)
2. Combine tomatoes, capers, vinegar, oil, 1/2 cup tomato juice, and sugar/honey- mix well. Spread tomato mixture over chicken
3. Bake until chicken is cooked through (the thighs took about 40 minutes, thinner pieces would be less; the recipe said 20-25 minutes, but those must have been thin chicken breasts)
~to serve, sprinkle with basil and pepper and spoon some of the yummy balsamic-tomato vinaigrette over the top!