I saw some absolutely BEAUTIFUL eggplants in the produce section, which inspired me to pull out an old recipe from the summer I was obsessed with French food. It’s simple and delicious!
1 eggplant cut lengthwise into 4 thick slices (fit chicken breasts) OR as I did, cut into enough rounds to match your chicken – I used boneless, skinless thighs And made 6….
(4) boneless, skinless chicken breasts – or see above
1 14 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, cut into quarters – save some of the juice!
2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil + some for greasing the pan
2 tbsp brown sugar or honey
1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves
fresh ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400, oil baking dish – large enough to fit eggplant slices in a single layer ~ place eggplant in the dish and top each slice with chicken breast (or whatever)
2. Combine tomatoes, capers, vinegar, oil, 1/2 cup tomato juice, and sugar/honey- mix well. Spread tomato mixture over chicken
3. Bake until chicken is cooked through (the thighs took about 40 minutes, thinner pieces would be less; the recipe said 20-25 minutes, but those must have been thin chicken breasts)
~to serve, sprinkle with basil and pepper and spoon some of the yummy balsamic-tomato vinaigrette over the top!
Chicken & Vegetables en Papillote
I made these delicious packets of goodness for dinner tonight and they were WONDERFUL! Just the right amount of tanginess from the lemon and artichoke, and just the right cookedness for the asparagus Prep: 35 minutes; Bake @ 30 minutes; Oven 400F; 4 servings
1lb boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp fresh oregano (or 1tsp dry)
1 tbsp fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dry)
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
10 oz asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces (2 cups)
6 oz pea pods, trimmed (2 cups)
1 cup (I used the whole can) canned artichoke hearts, quartered (I halved)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp (or more!) chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup fresh chives or chopped green onions
1. cut chicken breasts into 1 inch slices (I cut the long way to make strips, but it says to go crossways). In a medium bowl combine oil, oregano, thyme, lemon peel, lemon juice, salt, pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat, let stand while preparing veggies
2. on “large enough” pieces of foil, arrange asparagus, pea pods, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, and parsley – I layered them all; top with servings of chicken; then with servings of the green onions (amount will depend on how many packets you want to make).
3. fold up foil packets, place on baking sheets, and bake for 20+ minutes at 400F. Check and see if chicken is pink. (I ended up cooking for 35 minutes, but my chicken strips were THICK)
If you make this into 4 servings: 250 calories each, 8g fat (1g saturated), 498mg sodium, 13g carbs, 6g fiber, 31g protein