Wow, so, a lot went on and I failed utterly at blogging all summer…. Time to get back at this!
Pinterest GOT me yesterday morning, and I have had a butternut squash staring at me waiting to be used in the pantry, so right away in the morning I got started on dinner. I was totally made of win, and got a load of laundry going, stuck the squash in the oven to roast, and did a great workout all at the same time!
Butternut Squash & Spinach Lasagna
Pretty obvious how Pinterest got me, right? Doesn’t that look great????
Here’s my “Making of”….. SOOOOOO GOOD. I think some red pepper flakes to add a little heat might make it even better, but it’s delicious exactly as the recipe is written!
- 2 cups butternut squash puree (I used more like 2.5 cups, my whole squash, which was pretty small ~ and the squash puree link goes to www.juliasalbum.com, where I got this amazing recipe)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup milk (or more, if needed)
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup cooked spinach (8 oz uncooked)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 10 oz lasagna noodles, cooked (for gluten free, use Tinkyada brown rice lasagna noodles)
- 1 and 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (or more)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (on top)
- Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- For this filling, you will need to have pre-cooked butternut squash puree. Using food processor, combine 2 cups of butternut squash puree with Ricotta cheese, milk, salt and nutmeg. Add more milk if needed (to make the butternut squash filling very creamy). Mix very well, taste and add more salt, if needed.
- Combine spinach, Ricotta cheese, mozzarella, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix, taste, and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Bring a very large pot of water to boil, and cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Rinse in cold water, drain. Using knife, trim noodles to fit your baking dish (if necessary).
- Prepare a baking dish – I used a casserole dish 11 inches x 8.5 inches x 3 inches deep. Grease the lasagna dish lightly with olive oil spray. Spread 1/3 of butternut squash filling on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle lightly with mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked lasagna noodles without overlapping (I used 3 noodles).
- Spread half of spinach filling over the noodles. Top lightly with Mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked noodles.
- Spread another layer (1/3) of butternut squash mixture, then sprinkle lightly with Mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked noodles.
- Spread the remaining half of spinach filling over the noodles. Top lightly with Mozzarella cheese. Top with the final layer of cooked noodles.
- Spread a generous amount of butternut squash filling (the remaining 1/3) over this final layer of noodles, sprinkle with grated Parmesan and remaining mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup of mozzarella). Generously sprinkle the cheese with Italian seasoning, paprika, basil.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil and bake additional 10 minutes.