Smokey Black Bean Hummus
Even though “Hummus” is actually Arabic for “chickpea” and there’re no chickpeas here….
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (I used chives from the garden
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp canola oil (I used EVOO)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained (or make from scratch!)
- 1/2 cup water (I didn’t add this….)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp finely chopped canned chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
Saute onions in oil with coriander and cumin until very tender, stirring (10 minutes or so)
Transfer onion mixture to a food processor or blender; add black beans, lime juice, chipotle pepper, cilantro, and salt; blend until smooth. SO here’s where you could add 1/2 cup of water. I looked at it and thought “why would I do that, it looks perfect….”
We had this spread on a whole wheat tortilla/wrap with spinach, romaine, tomato, green pepper and a sliced grilled chicken breast. It was a PERFECT lunch!!!!